This one day online Hemp Industry 101 course is designed for those interested in joining the emerging Hemp industry in South Africa and across the continent. With the South African government committing to the issuing of Hemp Licenses from October there is a real opportunity for SME’s, entrepreneurs and hemp enthusiasts to enter the space. The Hemp industry is dynamic, complex and multifaceted and to successfully navigate it one needs to up-skill themselves with the necessary knowledge and insights.
This online Zoom course is facilitated by some of the sharpest minds in the Hemp industry.
- The history of Hemp in Africa and its current status
- Growing Hemp from seed to harvest
- Hemp processing
- Hemp product manufacturing
- Opportunities in the Hemp industry value chain
- Building a sustainable African Hemp industry.
- Full Q&A
Friday, 27th August
9am - 4pm with 1 hour lunch break
Stable internet connection & data
Contact us for bespoke dates for groups
By the end of this 1 day Hemp learning experience, attendees will have an understanding of:
- The history, challenges and opportunity for Hemp farming in South Africa
- Hemp genetics and landrace strains
- Agronomic practices for differing Hemp varieties and product developments
- Ideal agri-climatic zones and conditions for Hemp
- Hemp varietals growth cycles
- Essential nutrients for successful Hemp growth
- The importance of agro-rural farmer integration
- The manufacturing process and infrastructure requirements for Hemp based products
- Capital intensity for emerging Hemp farmers
- Different Hemp applications including building and food processing
- Sustainable Hemp architecture
- Hemp market analysis and accessibility
- Current and future Hemp market prices
- The commercialization of the Hemp industry
- Circular and green economies
- The viability of Hemp-based product development
- The economies of scale for Hemp farming
- The agro-ecological significance of Hemp
Planting the Seed
Welcome video: Tony Budden
Tony is considered by many to be the African godfather of hemp having fought for its legalisation for over 20 years. He is a founding partner of Hemporium, South Africa’s premier hemp company. Hemporium has been pioneering the use of industrial cannabis products since 1996 and built Africa’s first Hemp House, which is a recognised WDC 2014 project. We are privileged to have him as a member of Cheeba Cannabis Academy's academic board.
Growing the Seed
Lecturer: Natie Ferreira
Natie’s 18 years of experience in the green industry as a beautifier, project manager and producer has brought him to the place where horticulture and agriculture meet. He has extensive knowledge and experience of farming and growing Hemp and Cannabis and is a driving force in the industry. He is a founding member and treasurer of the Cannabis Industrial Development Cooperative of the Western Cape (CIDC WC) a founding member and chairman of the Association of Compassion (AOC) and runs Tamatie, a company that we have partnered with to teach advanced growing:
- Advanced Grow Workshop
- Commercial Cannabis Cultivation
Lecturer: Clara Novel
Clara is the owner of Swedish Hemp Industries, a consultancy that works with hemp fibers/stems as sustainable fossil-free innovative bio-based materials/applications for different industries. She is a structural and civil engineer, spends her time between Sweden and South Africa where she lives in Gugulethu township. She also plays a key role in the Industrial Hemp Online Conference - Innovation for a Bio-based and Fossil Free Future.
Sharing the Harvest
Facilitator / Lecturer: Phivo Artemides
Phivo holds a Masters in Urban Studies in Sustainable Energy Efficient Cities. His research was on the viability of hemp agriculture to create bio-composite materials whilst addressing agro-rural socio-economic opportunities in the Eastern Cape.
Giving the Plant Potential
Lecturer: Ayanda Bam
Ayanda is the Co-Founder of Friends of Hemp South Africa. He is also the Co-Founder and CEO of the Cannabis consultancy BCubed Consulting. He has worked in Economic Development and Corporate Strategy in over 17 countries and is deeply passionate about sustainability.
For updates on our courses please join our mailing list